Maybe you want to be active and get fit but thinking about the gym just leaves you so unmotivated, you decide to watch another TV episode instead. If that’s you, then you should try a group fitness class, because group fitness is just…well it’s just great! Here are 8 reasons why you should try it out.
- Group fitness classes are just more fun: Remember when you were a kid on the playground at school? Running around playing soccer or dodge-ball with friends was much more entertaining than sitting alone in the sandbox, right? The same idea works for adults too. Group exercise gives you the chance to burn some calories with your friends.
- Structure: Have you ever walked into your local gym and realized you’re not quite sure how to do this whole workout thing? Maybe you’re a first-timer, or just haven’t stepped foot in a gym for a long time. Group fitness classes, taught by a certified instructor, give you the chance to learn how to be active, with the proper form and motivation.
- Motivation: The American College of Sports Medicine reports that one of the most common reasons why people quit their exercise program is boredom. You’re more likely to keep going back if you enjoy your workout routine. Group classes provide the fun you need to stay committed.
- Try something new: With all the different varieties of classes out there, you’re sure to find a few you like. From Yoga, to kickboxing, to Zumba to bootcamp, there’s bound to be a group class you can really dig into.
- Follow a schedule: Need another reason to show up for class? Most trainers or gyms require you to sign up in advance for group fitness classes. Knowing you’re expected by the instructor might give you the little extra nudge you need to get out the door.
- Make new friends: Moving to a new city? Sure you can chat with a perfect stranger online, but why not meet like-minded people face to face in a fun and active environment? Making friends at a fitness class is great, you’ve already found a common interest!