According to The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, 80.2 million Americans, aged six and older are physically inactive. Parents sit at desks all day and kids are engaging in less active play than they used to. This lack of family fitness is not something to take lightly. Dr. James Levine, director of the Mayo Clinic-Arizona State University Obesity Solutions Initiative has gone as far as saying, “Sitting is the new smoking.”
One way to tackle this problem is by making fitness a part of family time.
5 reasons to make family fitness a priority
- You’re being a positive role model. When you make fitness a priority, your kids notice. Keep fitness fun and exciting. Do things together that you both enjoy. If you’re getting excited and motivated for fitness, it’ll rub off on your kids.
- You’re giving the gift of good habits. According to Psychology Today’s, Health Habits Develop Early and Are Hard to Change the earlier you can establish good habits the better. Habits are hard to break so taking the time to establish daily activity and exercise habits for your children now is a gift that can improve the quality of their lives for years to come.
- Quality family time. Family fitness time is a chance to put all the screens away and connect and interact as a familu. Whether it’s a game of flag football, taking a walk through the park, or participating in a family friendly exercise class, staying active as a family is an amazing way to strengthen bonds.
- You are teaching teamwork. As a family, find opportunities to sweat together as a team. You could take turns rowing a boat, participate in a relay race, or play volleyball. Working together and supporting one another through physical fitness is a fantastic way to show your kids that when you team up, and depend on one another, you can achieve great things.
- 5 reasons to make family fitness a priority Beyond the physical benefits of movement is the self-esteem earned through setting and achieving goals. Whether the goal is to “find fitness time” as a family 3 times a week or to cross the finish line of a 5K together, nothing is as empowering as achieving a goal set.
So get out there and find something fun to do as a family! (and don’t forget to check out all the family-friendly programs at The nZone).